Manor Lords Codexery

Village Center

Originally incorporated as North Tarrytown in the late 19th century, the village adopted its current name in 1996, some three and a half centuries after the first Dutch settlers called the area 'Slapershaven' or 'Sleepers' Harbor.'

Sleepy Hollow is a village in the town of Mount Pleasant in Westchester County, New York, United States, in the New York metropolitan area. The village is located on the east bank of the Hudson River, approximately 28 miles (45 km) north of Midtown Manhattan in New York City, and is served by the Philipse Manor stop on the Metro-North Hudson Line. To the south of Sleepy Hollow is the village of Tarrytown, and to the north and east are unincorporated parts of Mount Pleasant. The population of the village at the 2020 census was 9,986.

Type
Village
Primary Function
Residential, Commercial, Historical Tourism
Key Structures
Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, Philipse Manor House, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery,
Strategic Importance
Located on the east bank of the Hudson River, served by the Philipse Manor stop
Symbolic Role
Known internationally through The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, an 1820 short story b

Lore & Background

The two square miles of land that would become Sleepy Hollow belonged to the larger domain of the Wecquaesgeek, a Munsee-speaking band of Wappinger people. Their fort and burying ground may have been located on the hillside where the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow was to be built later. In 1609, Henry Hudson claimed the Hudson Valley, including the Tappan Zee area, for the Netherlands. There was relative peace between the Native Americans and the Dutch until the mid-17th century, and the Dutch West India Company had been providing its investors with large land grants called patroonships to encourage settlement of the New Netherland colony on lands bought from local Native American tribes along the East Coast of what is now the United States.

In Their Own Story

Much of the land that would become Philipsburg Manor had previously belonged to Adriaen van der Donck, who had invested in such a patroonship before the English conquest of New Netherland in 1664. In 1672, merchants Frederick Philipse (or Vredryk Flypse), Thomas Delavall, and Thomas Lewis purchased from his widow's brother the first tracts of land in current-day northern Yonkers. Philipse made several additional purchases between 1680 and 1686 from the Wecquaesgeek and Sintsink tribes, expanding the property to both the north and south. Philipse also bought out his partners' stakes during this time, enticing friends from New Amsterdam and Long Island to move with him with the promise of free land and limited taxes. The manor grew to around 52,000 acres (21,000 ha) or about 81 sq mi (210 km2), comprising much of today's lower Westchester County. Philipse was granted a royal charter in 1693, creating the Manor of Philipsburg and establishing him as first lord of the manor.

Reader's Guide

Philipse founded his country seat at the mouth of the Pocantico River, in the northern part of his manor, which would be called the Upper Mills. A small Dutch community had already been established there when he arrived in 1683. He built a gristmill and shipping depot, today part of the Philipse Manor House historic site. A pious man (and a carpenter by trade), he was architect and financier of the settlement's stone church, known today as the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, and was said to have built the pulpit with his own hands. The church served successive lords and ladies of the manor and their tenant farmers (who were largely Dutch, French Huguenot, Swiss, and German immigrants) until the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War. When Philipse died in 1702, the manor was divided between his son, Adolphus Philipse, and his grandson, Frederick Philipse II. Adolphus received the Upper Mills property, which extended from Dobbs Ferry to the Croton River. Frederick II was given the Lower Mills at the confluence of the Saw Mill and Hudson Rivers. Adolphus transformed the Upper Mills into a major commercial operation and managed it for nearly 50 years. The complex then included a stone gristmill, a bakehouse, workshops for blacksmiths, carpenters, and coopers, and a wharf for exporting grain and cornmeal internationally and for importing foreign goods. It was surrounded by fields of grain, orchards, stands of timber, and stone quarries. The complex was largely operated by enslaved Africans. Slave quarters were installed by Adolphus about 90 feet from the main house. By the time of his death, twenty-three enslaved men, women, and children lived and worked at the manor. They are catalogued by name (and children, also with ages) in the 1750 probate inventory of his properties. As the most valuable 'chattel' (personal property), they are listed first - before cattle, furniture, and tools.

Did You Know?

More in World & Setting

Elsewhere in the Manor Lords universe

Spotted an error? Know more?

This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record

Comments

Loading…
Open in the interactive codex →