Manor Lords Codexery

Guild Hall Dedication

A 15th-century collegiate church in Shropshire, England, renowned for its fan vaulting and historic tombs.

The Collegiate Church of St Bartholomew, Tong, also known as St Bartholomew's Church, is a 15th-century church in the village of Tong, Shropshire, England. It is notable for its architecture and fittings, including fan vaulting in a side chapel, rare in Shropshire, and its numerous tombs. The church was built on the site of a former parish church and was constructed as a collegiate church and chantry on the initiative of Isabel Lingen, who acquired the advowson from Shrewsbury Abbey and additional endowments through royal support. Patronage remained with the lords of the manor of Tong, who resided at nearby Tong Castle, a short distance to the south-west, and the tombs and memorials mostly represent these families, particularly the Vernons of Haddon Hall, who held the lordship for more than a century. Later patrons, mostly of landed gentry origin, added further memorials, including the Stanley Monument, which is inscribed with epitaphs sometimes attributed to William Shakespeare, though this remains a local legend rather than established fact. The church also contains a memorial to a real person, often mistakenly associated with Little Nell from Charles Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop, though the character is entirely fictitious. The building is grade I listed. Due to its many monuments inside the church and ornate architecture, it is sometimes labelled as The Westminster Abbey of The Midlands, often featuring as one of the best churches in The Midlands and in England.

Building Class
Religious Infrastructure
Primary Function
Collegiate Church & Chantry
Historical Context
15th-Century Ecclesiastical Foundation
Unlock Requirement
Not Applicable (Real-World Landmark)
Impact on Story
None (Not Featured in Manor Lords)

Lore & Background

The present church was founded by the widowed Isabel Lingen as a chantry and collegiate church. To secure the new foundation, Isabel acquired the advowson of the church from Shrewsbury Abbey and secured a financial basis. The royal licence alone, granted by Henry IV at Leicester on 25 November 1410, cost £40 (equivalent to £31,951 in 2025). Isabel applied for the licence jointly with two clerics, Walter Swan and William Mosse, who were both feoffees for Sir Fulk Pembridge. The three together donated in frankalmoin a messuage in Tong itself, together with the advowson of St Bartholomew's. Mosse gave the advowson of St Mary's Church at Orlingbury in Northamptonshire. Mosse and Swan together donated lands at Sharnford in Leicestershire: two messuages, two virgates of land and four acres of meadow. In addition the two priests gave the reversion of the manor of Gilmorton, also in Leicestershire. The new foundation was intended from the outset to be housed in a new and permanent building, as the king recognised that Isabel, Walter and William 'proposed to erect, make and found the Church of Tong, mentioned above, into a certain permanent college' (prædictam ecclesiam de Tonge ... erigere, facere et fundare proponant in quoddam collegium perpetuo duraturum). The number of priests who would constitute the college was left vague: 'five chaplains, more or less, of whom one is to be appointed by this Isabel, Walter and William, their heirs or assignees as warden of the same college' (quinque capellanis seu pluribus paucioribus quorum unus per ipsos Isabellam Walterum et Willielmum hær

In Their Own Story

The church was built on the site of a former parish church. No church at Tong is mentioned in Domesday Book. At that point Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury, held the manor both as tenant-in-chief and as manorial lord. The cartulary of Shrewsbury Abbey shows that Earl Roger granted it the advowson of the church at Tong and a pension of half a mark from its income, so the church must have been built between Domesday in 1087 and his death in 1094. After Robert of Bellême, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury forfeited his family's lands through revolt, Tong and nearby Donington were granted by Henry I to Richard de Belmeis I, his viceroy in Shropshire and the Welsh Marches, who also became Bishop of London, and who held the churches on both estates from Shrewsbury Abbey until his death in 1127. He ensured the two churches were restored to Shrewsbury Abbey on his death but his secular holdings went to his nephew Philip de Belmeis, one of the founders of Lilleshall Abbey. After about four decades the male line of Belmeis at Tong became extinct and Alan la Zouche acquired the manor through marriage to Alicia de Belmeis. The Zouche family maintained the Belmeis link with the Augustinian abbey at Lilleshall, where they sometimes claimed advowson, rather than Benedictine Shrewsbury. The implicit tension between secular and ecclesiastical authority came into the open under Alan's grandson, William la Zouche. William drove out Ernulf, a parish priest who had been duly presented by Shrewsbury Abbey and installed by Hugh Nonant, the Bishop of Coventry, some time between 1188 and 1194. The row appears to have blown over and Ernulf died in 1220 in full possession of Tong church. However, Ernulf's death brought to the surface a further issue. The Abbey had already sold the pension from the church and the reversion of the parsonage to Robert de Shireford. Roger la Zouche, William's brother and heir, was outraged and initiated an assize of darrein presentment against the abbot at Westminster in November 1220, aiming to prove his own right to nominate Ernulf's successor. Although the procedure was intended to simplify disputes over advowson or patronage, the legal wrangle took over a year to settle. The key issue, raised at the outset of all such cases, was who had presented the previous priest. There was no evidence that Ernulf had ever been presented by the lord of the manor and Roger had no answer to the abbot's systematic documentation of Shrewsbury Abbey's grants: the case inevitably ended in victory for the abbey. A new church building seems to have been erected in 1260. By this time the male line of the la Zouche family at Tong had petered out and the manor was being passed through the descendants of Roger's daughter, Alice. Her daughter Orabil married Henry de Penbrigg and in 1271 the couple were granted a charter by Henry III at Winchester, allowing them to hold a weekly market at Tong on Thursdays, as well as an annual fair stretching from the eve to the morrow of St Bartholomew the Apostle (23–25 August). Henry's father, also Henry, had recently died, after losing the family's patrimony of Pembridge in Herefordshire as a result of his participation in the Second Barons' War. Hence, his main manor was now Tong and his successors were generally described as Pembrugge or Pembridge of Tong Castle. The last of these was Sir Fulk Pembridge, a very substantial landowner who was a member of the Parliament of England for Shropshire just once, in 1397. The History of Parliament avers that 'Pembridge's status as a wealthy landowner is not reflected in his public service.' He died in 1409 sine prole (without issue), despite two marriages. Sir Fulk had greatly expanded his lands and wealth through his first marriage to Margaret Trussell, only 14 years old when her father died in 1363 but already a widow. Margaret died in 1399. Sir Fulk's second wife, Isabel Lingen, who had been married twice before, was to survive him by 37 years. She was from the Herefordshire landed gentry, the daughter of Sir Ralph Lingen, of Wigmore, according to the History of Parliament. The inquisition for the feudal aid levied by Edward III in 1346 found a Radulphus de Lingayn holding the manors of Aymestrey and Lower Lye, close to both Lingen and Wigmore in Herefordshire: both estates belonged to the honour of Radnor and were within the large tracts of the Welsh Marches dominated by the Mortimer family of Wigmore Castle. Isabel had Tong and a large portfolio of Trussell estates settled on her for life, which was to lead to prolonged and bitter conflict between the Trussell family and Sir Fulk's heir, Richard Vernon of Haddon Hall.

Reader's Guide

The church is notable for its architecture and fittings, including its fan vaulting in a side chapel, rare in Shropshire, and its numerous tombs. Patronage remained with the lords of the manor of Tong, who resided at nearby Tong Castle, a short distance to the south-west, and the tombs and memorials mostly represent these families, particularly the Vernons of Haddon Hall, who held the lordship for more than a century. Later patrons, mostly of landed gentry origin, added further memorials, including the Stanley Monument which is inscribed with epitaphs said to be specially written by William Shakespeare. The church was the site of a minor skirmish during the English Civil War and also hosts the grave of Little Nell from Charles Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop, despite the character being entirely fictitious. The building is grade I listed and had its lead roof replenished with steel during 2017 to deter thieves. Due to its many monuments inside the church and ornate architecture, it is sometimes labelled as The Westminster Abbey of The Midlands, often featuring as one of the best churches in The Midlands and in England.

Did You Know?

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is Guild Hall Dedication?

Guild Hall Dedication is not a character but represents a specific construction milestone within your settlement's progression timeline. It marks the establishment of advanced economic infrastructure rather than a person or historical figure.

What are Guild Hall Dedication's powers and role?

The primary function of this building is trade management and providing necessary housing for visiting merchants. It serves as the central hub for organizing commercial activities within your manor.

When does the Guild Hall Dedication unlock in gameplay?

This structure becomes available only after achieving advanced settlement growth through population expansion and resource stability. Players must meet specific development thresholds before construction begins.

Why is Guild Hall Dedication important for my settlement?

It is crucial because it enables long-distance trade routes that are essential for late-game economic sustainability. Without this infrastructure, your town cannot fully engage in regional commerce.

How does Guild Hall Dedication fit into the historical context?

The building simulates the medieval guild system to reflect accurate historical trade practices within the game world. It adds depth to the economic simulation without altering the core survival mechanics.

More in Story & Timeline

Elsewhere in the Manor Lords universe

Spotted an error? Know more?

This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record

Comments

Loading…
Open in the interactive codex →